As every human being needs food and water to live their life, without food and water, no one on this planet earth can survive. There are times when human beings don’t want to eat anything, and there could be many reasons like being sick or having some emotional issues.
We as human beings, can find out the solution to our problems by sharing with others, but what about animals?
They can’t speak. They fail at expressing their feelings sometimes. Then at that time, what will be our next step?
If you have a pet, you will definitely be blessed, regardless of the reason that cats are sometimes moody. But they always love and understand your feelings. Also, you should understand their feelings about what they are feeling at that particular time.
Tablet Of Contents
Reasons Why your Cat is Not Eating
First of all, you should think about the reasons for having no food. These reasons might be that
1. Cats are very moody and picky about their food. They eat at the time they want, whether it’s been a day since their last meal.
Also, the lack of flavor plays the role of no appetite for your cats.
Maybe she is not interested in the food, or she doesn’t like the food much. This is the same as human beings that they do not eat what they don’t like.
2. Another reason could be medical issue like cancer, dental issues, kidney problems, diabetes, UTI, arthritis, and some other problems. All of these problems can result in the loss of appetite for your cat.
3. Some other non-medical reasons can be nasal congestion as it is for a very short period. Also, if you had moved out from your old place to a new place, then it will also be a reason for the loss of appetite of your cat as they are very peculiar to their surroundings.
4. If your cat eats dry food, and your cat might have dental problems. It is possible because cat might be growing old or has delicate teeth that cause the pain in teeth while eating.
5. If your cat has just come out of a disease and it is under the medications, then it will be a reason for your cat’s no hunger.
Also, if there is any stressful behavior in the surrounding, it might be the reason.
How Long Can a Cat Survive with Hunger?
There is no perfect or constant timetable for the food of cats. It depends upon the physical and mental condition of your cat.
The lack of food encourages the use of fats in your body to produce energy for your body.
The liver is the only organ that helps in processing the fats into energy. So, when the liver fails to receive any protein, it will stop functioning properly.
It will give rise to the malfunctioning of organs of cats. This process will take days to occur because it is purely dependent upon the physical condition of the cat.
But averagely, a cat can live without food or water for almost 1 week. As stated earlier, it purely depends upon the condition and health of your cat.
Some factors that decide the survival limit for your cat are
- Genetic heritage
- Emotional health
Older cats can’t last as long as the younger cats can because of their age and body conditions. Also, the same goes for kittens as they are too young to bear hunger. So, it is completely dependent on your cat’s age.
How to Get your Cat Back to Eat?
1. Slowly incorporation of food
If your cat has been recovering from sickness by medications, then you should feed him the less quantity of food and feed them by your own hands. Also, praise them while eating.
2. Change your Cat Food
To increase the appetite of your cat, or try to add more flavor to the meal of your cat, add a small amount of chicken or tuna but not in excess.
While feeding your cat, do it in a peaceful environment as they will eat more in a peaceful area and try to feed them slowly.
4. Medical Assistance
After trying all the above methods, if there is no progress, then you really have to consult a vet who will tell you the problem with your cat.
There might be some situations when you have to leave the house for a few days, and you can’t take your cat with you.
May be your cat is sick and don’t eat for a few days, then you must be able to identify the problem and diagnose how long your cat can survive without food and water.
Only this way, you’ll get to know when the situation is worse and when to take him to a vet.